1 lb malanga (root of Elephant Ear)
1 c black eyed peas (not dried)
1 tsp salt to taste
1 tsp black pepper to taste
1 shallot or 1/2 onion
1 clove garlic
1/4 green bell pepper
1 scotch bonnet pepper (habanero pepper)
1 egg beaten
1 tsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 c vegetable oil
1. Grate the
malanga to make 2 cups.
2. In a blender, mix the black eyed peas, 1/2 cup water, salt, black pepper, scallion, shallot or onion, garlic, green bell pepper, and scotch bonnet pepper until it's the same consistency as the grated malanga.
3. In a bowl, mix the malanga with the black eye pea mixture. Mix in the beaten egg. Mix the flour and baking powder until you get a nice consistency.
4. Heat the oil on high heat until very hot.
5. Drop in a tablespoonful of the mixture in the hot oil.
6. Do not turn to the other side until the fritter is very dark brown.
7. While frying, scoop out any extra mix that breaks away from the batter in the hot oil, so it does not clutter or burn the oil.
8. When both sides of the fritter are very dark brown. scoop out of oil and Drain on a paper towel.
Back to Menu
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org